Moodle 3.3 introduces a brand new improved dashboard with improved features to check their course progress and view upcoming deadlines. The new improved course dashboard was contributed by Moodle User’s Association.
Moodle’s improved course overview dashboard has details about past, in progress and future courses, with radial progress indicator and upcoming deadlines. However, there is no way to alter the display options for the improved course dashboard.
Learning Works – New Zealand, along with Mathew May & Jeremy FitzPatrick contributed a new Moodle plugin – My Courses. The My Courses block provides an alternate dashboard for learners. It shows their enrolled courses and progress throughout the course if there is course completion enabled.
The features of My Courses block which distinguishes it from the native Moodle dashboard are:
- You can arrange the courses in a specific order by dragging and dropping.
- Learners can choose different layout options like List View or Grid view.
- The ability to track grade/ course completion with a progress bar
- Course description displayed along the course name.
- Can set default images to be displayed along the course.
If you want to explore a simple and creative dashboard, then you can give it a try. You can download the latest version of the My Courses block from Moodle plugins directory here – https://moodle.org/plugins/block_lw_courses. My Courses block is compatible with Moodle 3.1 version onwards.