There were 7 projects selected this year for Moodle’s participation in the Google Summer of Code. Each student gets a mentor and stipend to tackle coding a new integration or rewrite of a component of Moodle.
Here are the 7 projects for this year (check out all of the past Moodle GSOC projects here: http://docs.moodle.org/dev/GSOC):
- Self-assessment activity using the question bank – a self directed quiz feature with feedback and student ability to track their progress
- SCORM player rewrite
- Global search – rewriting how search works in Moodle so that it’s not just an administrative tool.
- Course search – see above
- Pronunciation evaluation question type – no details yet, but my guess is a quick recorder type question that allows teachers to evaluate students on oral speech captured through Moodle.
- A Moodle plugin for determining Quiz authorship – a quiz and user identification tool to ensure that the test take is who they say they are.
- Portfolio plugin for Evernote – AWESOME, portfolio integration to the popular and ever useful Evernote notetaking and document sharing tool.
This is a great list and one of the most aggressive lineups for Moodle’s GSOC. I look forward to learning more about each project. Congratulations to each of the selected students!