Updated on May 13th, 2019
A development team led by Tomoya Saito at the Media and Information Technology Center, Japan’s Yamaguchi University, has built a comprehensive Kaltura video plugin family for Moodle. Surnamed “YU Kaltura,” they bring high-level integrations of media resources provided by the popular commercial video education platform to Moodle.
The YU Kaltura plugin family is unaffiliated with Kaltura Inc., and unsupported by the company.
Plugins in the YU Kaltura Media Package
Yamaguchi University’s YU Kaltura family is made of 5 plugins, last updated in February 2019, and compatible with Moodle 2.9 to 3.6.
- YU Kaltura Media Local Libraries (local_yukaltura, required) powers the plugins by providing the necessary libraries and API connections.
- YU Kaltura Media Gallery (local_yumymedia, required) gives controls for media management and upload, including metadata editing and permission control.
- YU Kaltura Media Resource (mod_kalmediares, optional) offers a two-way street, allowing upload to the Kaltura server and embedding media into Moodle pages and activities.
- YU Kaltura Media Assignment (mod_kalmediaassign, optional) offers complementary functionality to use media hosted by Kaltura as an activity. Teachers can enable it to request media as assignments and grade them.
System requirements for YU Kaltura
- PHP version 5.3 or higher
- Secure communication (HTTPS) protocol for the site
- An active Kaltura account with the “Default” access control profile enabled
- If you intend to let users create recordings from their web browser using the
Kaltura offers premium video solutions with Moodle integration with professional features. However, Kaltura is developed under an open source license allowing users to use a “Community Edition” for free to support media repositories on their own servers. The YU Kaltura plugin family can work on either solution.
Don’t miss a video beat! Follow our latest coverage on LMS Video Pulse.
Our coverage on The Tech and the latest innovations behind LMS and Learning Systems is supported by Moonami, a company that provides a full range of Moodle services combining the flexibility, scalability, and power of Amazon’s world-leading cloud platform (AWS) with fanatical Moodle support. Click here to learn more.