Another month passed and it has added many new feathers in the Moodle Hat. The most popular open source Learning management system in the world has seen some major changes in the month of May 2017. In this post I am going to share an overview of the major happenings in the Moodle World in last one month.
In the last Month, Moodle Project has seen the new heights and strengthen up the numero uno place in the education market with the release of Moodle 3.3 version. Another feather in the cap is the release of the new official Moodle mobile app version which extends the new features of Moodle core into the mobile app.
Here, I had listed down the interesting articles from the month of May to sum up the Moodle progress in the past one month. Check them out below:
- Moodle 3.3 release – the next major version release of Moodle core power packed with new features and improvements. Release delayed by a week due to slow QA testing. Major features include improved dashboard, better office integration, stealth activities and many more..
- Moodle Mobile 3.3 release – The new version of the official moodle mobile app comes with 93% support for student activities and enhanced offline capabilities. Release delayed by few days but makes up by extending the features introduced in the Moodle core to the mobile app in a neat and efficient way.
- Minor Point release for Moodle supported branches – Moodle has released the minor point releases for the other supported branched of Moodle core i.e Moodle 3.2.3, 3.1.6, 3.0.10 and 2.7.20. The security support for versions 3.0 and 2.7 has now ended as this is the last release for these versions.
- Moodle Academy Prototype – Moodle Academy is the MOOC hosting platform by Moodle HQ team. MoodleWorld team has first covered the prototype of the Moodle Academy. The platform is designed such that you can create, customize and control your learning environment with the world’s number one learning platform, hosted in the cloud.
- Learn Moodle MOOC – The next Learn Moodle MOOC will starts from 6th June and it will be great opportunity for all the new Moodle users to get an idea to use Moodle in a learning environment.
- Moodle 3.2 Entity Relationship Diagram – Marcus Green shared the ERD diagram for Moodle 3.2. ERD diagram view helps to show the relationship between Moodle modules and each module itself in great detail.
- iMoot 2017 – iMoot 2017 : the biggest online Moodle conference was organized and ran for non stop 52 hours.
- CLAMP Project releases LAE versions – CLAMP project has released four LAE versions which are maintenance releases and doesn’t contain any new features. New versionf for Moodle 3.3 will be developed during the upcoming Hack fest in Hampshire college.
- Moodle chooses only one project for GSOC 2017 – Moodle has opted for a single project for the Google Summer of Code 2017. Diwakar Moturu from Visakhapatnam, India will work over the project “Improve End-to-End Testing in the Mobile App” during the GSOC 2017. He will be mentored by Juan Leyva – Moodle Mobile team lead.
- MoodleMoot Australia 2017 – MoodleMoot Australia 2017 is scheduled in Sep 2017. Call for presentation proposal and early bird registrations are now open.
- MoodleMoot US 2017 – MoodleMoot US 2017 will be hosted by BbWorld17 – Blackboard’s annual conference in New Orleans from 25-27th July 2017. This year there will be two MoodleMoots in USA – First one along with BbWorld in New Orleans and second one in Florida in the month of November 2017.
[bha size=’760×80′ variation=’04’ align=’aligncenter’]
Interesting Moodle Plugins:
- Moove Theme – The new theme released in Moodle themes directory. Comes with many attractive looking features and ideas. Based on Boost theme.
- Early bird award for Moodle 3.3 plugins – For Moodle 3.3 there were 153 plugins ready before the first release day. The plugins were awarded with the Early Bird award for Moodle 3.3
- Motivate students using the Student Quiz plugin – Expand your Moodle question bank by motivating students to create the questions for you. Interesting Idea? Check out the student quiz plugin to expand your question bank easily. Marcus Green had also presented about the Student Quiz plugin during the MoodleMoot Ireland & UK 2017.
- Fordson theme with QR code for enrollment – Chris Kenniburg from Dearborn schools updated the Fordson theme and introduced a feature to easily enroll users in your course by using QR code as enrollment keys.
- YouTube Page Background – Use Generico filter to create dynamic page background for your Moodle course by using YouTube videos. Check out this awesome tip to know how to do that.
- Atto Snippet plugin – Do you want to use same content in different Moodle courses? Use atto snippet plugin to create content templates and use them everywhere.
[bha size=’760×80′ variation=’04’ align=’aligncenter’]
Other interesting Articles:
- Interested in Gamification – Check out the new Mootivated platform. Mootivated is a mobile app which is now under development that rewards student effort for learning in Moodle.
- BigBlueButton 1.1 released – The most popular open source web conferencing solution has been upgraded to a new version with a lot of exciting new features and improvements.
- Customizing the Moodle Mobile app – Awesome tips shared by the Moodle Mobile app team leader – Juan Leyva. Check out how to customize the Moodle mobile app.
- Using stealth activities in Moodle – The old dirty and quirky way to add orphaned activities is replaced by a new and better way. The new term for these are termed as Stealth activities.
- Upcoming features in RemUI for Moodle 3.3 – RemUI: the most popular premium Moodle theme is all set to break the records again with many new features coming in the new version. Check out a glimpse of all new features.
This concludes our recap of the May month. What do you except from Moodle project in the upcoming months? Share your thoughts with us in the comments section below.