Moodle is used in different sectors to meet the training and learning requirements. It is easily achieved since Moodle as the name suggests is modular in nature. You can add a new feature or functionality through Moodle plugins.
Over the last 15 years, Moodle community developers have contributed more than 1385 plugins to add new features to Moodle. In this article, I am going to refer to an extremely useful list of Moodle plugins for high school teachers.
Recently, One of the Moodle community members started a Moodle thread to get the community feedback for Moodle plugins for high school teaching. Here, I am curating the list of top Moodle plugins for 9-12 education. If you wish to add more to the list, you can share with us in the comments below or directly in the forum thread.
Top Moodle plugins for High School teaching:
- Sharing Cart – Sharing cart block is one of the most recommended Moodle plugins. It allows to easily share Moodle content (resources, activities) between multiple courses on your site. By using Sharing cart block, you don’t need to recreate the same assignment from scratch for each course. The recent version is compatible with Moodle 3.3.
- Generico – Another recommended Moodle plugin. Generico allows you to set up text and code snippet templates for use in Moodle text areas. You can use it to create animated countdowns to remind students of upcoming due dates for any assignment or quiz.
- Level Up! – The Moodle gamification plugin. Makes the course a little more fun with a gamified scoring system.
- Game – Another Gamification plugin which is among the most downloaded Moodle plugins ever. Game module adds 8 different types of games which can take input questions from quiz, glossary or question bank.
- Active Quiz – Moodle plugin for taking real time quizzes in face to face lessons. You pose a question online and students vote on it. It can quickly show you misunderstandings on topics.
- Poodll – The widget wizard Moodle plugin. Poodll allows you to add audio and video recording in Moodle with a variety of widgets like stopwatch, dice, countdown timer, flashcards, and a whiteboard. Please note that Poodll is not a free Moodle plugins and needs a paid subscription.
- HTML Block – The core HTML block can be used for RSS feeds, Random glossary word for the day etc.
- Progress Bar/Completion Progress – The time management tool for your students as it tells them what they need to finish at a glance. Although the last version is compatible till Moodle 3.1 only.
- Podcast – The simplest solution to create podcasts in moodle. The podcasts can be created by teachers and audio as well as video podcasts can be uploaded.
Do you want to add more plugins to this list of Moodle plugins for high school teaching? Do let us know in the comments section below.