624 readers, mostly public higher education administrators, voted in the third edition of Campus Technology magazine 2017 Readers’ Choice Awards.
In the “Learning Management Systems & E-Learning Platforms” category, Blackboard Learn was awarded “Platinum,” Canvas by Instructure “Gold,” and Moodle “Silver.” In 2016 Blackboard was also on top, followed by Canvas and Google Classroom.
While the awards are the direct results of voting, some rationale is offered in other categories. In what is arguably the most important one, “Most valuable in the institution this year,” where mobile app development tool Guidebook earns the top spot, Canvas gets gold, tied with Chalk & Wire. According to the testimony of a reader and customer:
“We are a large school and it was a huge transition, but it was worth it to get a more modern LMS.”
No context about what the transition was made from is available. Campus Technology also clarifies that not all 624 voters chose the winners in every category.
Noteworthy podiums in other categories include:
- E-Portfolios: Chalk & Wire, Canvas, Blackboard Learn
- Lecture capture: Panopto, Blackboard and Sonic Foundry (tie), Google Hangouts and Kaltura (tie).
- Office or productivity suite: Microsoft Office 365, G Suite, Adobe Creative Cloud.
- Student retention: Ellucian, Starfish, Blackboard Predict and Campus Labs (tie).
- Content and web site management: WordPress, Drupal (both open source), Oracle WebCenter
A final list, “Top 10 Favorite Technologies Currently Used,” gives Office 365 the top spot. Canvas appears fourth, Blackboard Learn fifth, Moodle ninth, and D2L tenth. Blackboard Learn and Moodle maintained their positions from 2016, whereas Canvas hopped up from eight place.