Do you want to teach students who are geographically distant from you and have almost zero or very poor internet connectivity? Are you also looking for a learning environment which will suits the requirements of those students who are deprived of a good internet connectivity?
Since Moodle provides a rich space for learners to share, regardless of their geographical location. Learning materials can readily be provided in increasingly interactive, adaptive, collaborative and multimodal formats which can be accessed by anyone, anytime.
Raise your heads up for Spoodle – The Moodle on a stick solution or Shared Portable Moodle, which can be used to take the online learning into offline mode to help disadvantaged students. Stephen Grono, from School of Education University of New England, Armidale, presented about “Shared Portable Moodle – Spoodle” during the recently concluded MoodleMoot Australia 2016.
According to Stephen:
Spoodle – Shared Portable Moodle – is a project to develop a lighter, adapted version of Moodle to run directly from a flash drive, which can be loaded with your course materials and provided to the student. This will allow them to access all of your course materials in their full context, with all the related Moodle activities and resources along with it, even when they don’t have internet access.
Technically, Spoodle is:
- Similar to the official moodle.org packages – XAMPP bundle, forced into Portable mode, with a customised ‘click to start’ exe file for easy launch with Moodle preinstalled.
- Can be accessed across network, adapts to IP changes without needing to update mysql
- Removed all email requirements and checks
- Removed weekly wait to clean up temp files
- Enabled conditional access / activity tracking
- Disabled assign submission / forum posting and messaging.
You can download Spoodle based on Moodle 2.7 to Moodle 3.1 version onwards through Steve’s MoodleCloud website here.
What are the other portable Moodle solutions which you have used for offline learning? Do share your thoughts with us in the comments section below.