Have you been put into a situation when you have to allow anonymous posting in forums on your Moodle site? Juan Leyva – Developer at Moodle HQ developed a Moodle plugin which allows Anonymous posting in Moodle forums.
The local plugin “Anonymous posting in forums” allows anonymous posting in forums without changing even a single line of code. However, the plugin is having some privacy issues like:
- This plugin creates an user account in your Moodle installation
- This user account has the login blocked
- This user is enrolled in the course where the forum is
- This user is enrolled in the forum
- The navigation of the user is restricted to the forum in the course
- The navigation is restricted using hacks in the navigation and settings block. At least one of this block must be present
Once enabled, users will see new buttons and links for posting or replying as anonymous users. When an user click in one of these link, is logged in as a special Moodle user account called “Anonymous users”, once they have posted a new message they can recover their actual session using a link displayed in the settings block.
The plugin is available for Moodle 2.2 upto Moodle 2.9 but it is not upgraded for Moodle 3.1 yet. You can download it from the Moodle plugins database here – https://moodle.org/plugins/local_anonymousposting. The plugin documentation page is here for reference.
Is there any other way of allowing anonymous posting in Moodle forums without changing any code? Have you ever used this plugin earlier? Do share with us in the comments below.