Essential theme which is one of the most downloaded in the Moodle themes database has been updated for Moodle 2.8 as a stable version with fixed bugs and Beta version for Moodle 2.9.
Essential theme which was originally developed by Julian Ridden and now maintained by Gareth J Barnard is downloaded more than 381K times from the Moodle plugins database and leads the total downloads stats in the last one year also.
Cool features of Essential theme are:
- It attempts to load as many as possible icons from a font
- Most of what you think are “graphics” are actually the [Awesome font]
- The slider on the frontpage of the demo site is completely customisable through theme settings
- The footer is all custom Moodle regions. This means blocks can be added.
- The Theme uses [Google web fonts] to give it that extra bit of shazam!
- Social Network icons appear at the top of the page dynamically based on theme settings
- The entire colour scheme can be modified with theme settings
The complete list of fixed bugs for Moodle 2.8 are in the release notes here and the improvements, fixed bugs for Moodle 2.9 Beta version are here
Here is a quick promo video of the Essential theme:
You can download the latest version of the Essential theme from this link. Thanks Gareth J Barnard for maintaining such a nice gem of code from the Moodle community.
You can also support in maintaining the Essential theme by helping Gareth with some donation. Please check out the official theme page for donation.