Lambda Solutions, a Moodle and Totara Partner in BC, Canada has published a quick guide to plugins in the case you’re not looking to sift through nearly 1,000 which exist at Moodle.org.
Download your copy here: http://lambdasolutions.hs-sites.com/choosing-the-right-totara-moodle-plugins-guide (form required)
They’ve narrowed their focus on plugins to assist in specific circumstances which might fit your needs, plugins that help manage
- self-paced learning – the Progress Bar
- blended learning – synchronous tools like BigBlueButton
- online compliance training – the Certificate and Attendance
- automated user enrollment – Email-based self-registration with confirmation or SAML
- report on learner progress – Configurable Reports and My Grades
While they only touch on about 16 unique plugins (1.6% of all plugins) it might be a nice guide for getting started if you’re not looking to 1. buy the Moodle Add-on’s book by Gavin Henrick and Michael de Raadt, or 2. sort through Moodle.org.
Note: Moodlenews has no affiliation with Lambda Solutions though is sponsored by Totara LMS.