Similar to the new administrative settings that allow you to install plugins right from Moodle.org, here’s an initiative by Nadav Kavalerchik to allow users to add LTI tools from the Edu Apps store: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-40899.
I covered Edu Apps recently as one of the best places to see what you can add to your Moodle (or other LMS) via the LTI framework, read more about it here.
If you have a tracker account, vote it up! It’s goal, from the tracker,
Simplify the process, for teachers, to add a tool from the edu-apps.org LTI catalog (which is publicly published for Instructor’s Canvas teachers) to an External LTI activity.
After applying the attached patch, a Teacher could:
- Browse the edu-apps.org catalog. (“edu apps catalog” screen capture) and Select a tool.
- Copy its configuration xml uri (“copy tool’s configuration url” screen capture)
- Paste it into a new text input field “Tool configuration (XML) URL” (leftmost screen capture)
- Click the “+” button (next to the “External tool type” field)
- New window opens up with tool’s configuration details (parsed) available on the proper fields. (2nd from the left, screen capture)
- Update the relevant settings and click “Save” to go back into the LTI module settings page to finish setting up the tool.