There’s a great mod for Moodle available at Moodle.org called the Checklist. It’s a great addition that allows students and/or teachers to track student progress through courses and get a quick and easy visual representation of what’s been accomplished in the course.
Find out more at: http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=3582&filter=1
According to the entry at Moodle.org, the mod
allows a teacher to create a checklist for their students to work through. The teacher can monitor all the students’ progress, as they tick off each of the items in the list. Items can be indented and marked as optional. Students are presented with a simple bar showing how far they have progressed through the required/optional items and can add their own, private, items to the list.
Installing it takes just a few minutes (you’ll need to extract a folder into both the /blocks and /mod directories on your Moodle site, then login as admin and click “notifications”) and after you’ll be able to use both the block and activity easily. Add a comprehensive checklist to mirror all assignments in your course, or just a few to represent full units or topics (or proficiencies mastered). Here are a few screen shots of it in action on my site:
View of student progress:
Student view of the block:
- easy install
- easy to create checklists
- nice visual representation of student progress through the course
- Students can add their own (so this might be a nice addition to a myMoodle page)
- can’t give different items different weights
- it’d be a killer app if it pulled graded items automatically from the gradebook (and weighted them accordingly).
Verdict: Try it.